Subject: Re: proposed JASON campaign
From: "John C. Ries" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 13:05:06 -0600

Hi Everyone,

While including the crossovers in the analysis may make this more 
complicated, it is an invaluable diagnostic, both in terms of the 
radial variations and in the orbit centering in inertial space. 
However, the goal of this intercomparison may be less about absolute 
performance and more about relative consistency between analysis 
centers. In this case, the emphasis is different from the Jason 
CAL/VAL we have been performing, and we may keep things simpler by 
leaving the altimeter data out.

By the way, we should make sure that the participants know about the 
results we have already obtained and shown at the last Jason/Topex 
SWT. Jean-Paul, perhaps you can remind us where we might find the 
various posters.

As Jean-Paul pointed out, very good orbits for many Jason-1 cycles 
are already available for comparison from a number of centers. I 
think these are not restricted in any way that I know of. I would 
want to be very careful about the SLR analysis, since there are a few 
stations whose data should not be used for work at this level of 
precision.

Best regards,
John