Subject: Special Session on Earth Rotation at AGU Spring Meeting
From: Richard Gross <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Cc: Richard Gross <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 10:32:54 -0800

Author: Richard Gross

Dear Colleagues -

As part of the 2006 Joint Assembly of the AGU, GS, MB, MSA, and SEG  
that will be held in Baltimore, MD during 23-26 May 2006, David  
Salstein and I are convening session G06 on "Earth Rotation: The Long  
and the Short of It". The description of the session is given below.

We would like to draw your attention to this session and encourage  
you to participate in it. The deadline for submitting abstracts is 1  
March 2006.

Hope to see you in Baltimore!

Best regards,
Richard Gross and David Salstein

.................................

G06: Earth Rotation: The Long and the Short of It

The Earth’s rotation changes on all observable timescales, from  
subdaily to decadal and longer. Such variations include Earth's spin  
rate noted as changes in the length of day, as well as polar motions  
and variations of the polar axis in space. The wide range of  
timescales on which the Earth’s rotation occurs reflects the va iety  
of processes that are causing it to change. These include external  
tidal forces, surficial fluid processes involving the atmosphere,  
oceans, and hydrosphere, some related to climate variability, and  
internal processes acting both within the solid Earth itself and  
between it and the fluid core. Observations of the Earth’s rotation  
can thus be used to investigate a wide variety of geophysical  
processes. This session will be a forum for discussing the use of  
Earth rotation observations to study dynamic processes in the Earth  
system.

Richard S. Gross
Jet Propu sion Laboratory
Mail Stop 238-600
4800 Oak Grove Drive
Pasadena, CA 91109, USA
Tel.: +1 818-354-4010
Fax: +1 818-393-4965
E-mail: [email-masked]

David Salstein
Atmospheric and Environmental Research, Inc.
131 Hartwell Ave.
Lexington, MA, USA  02421
781-761-2229
[email-masked]