Subject: 7.7 magnitude quake in Chile
From: Laurent soudarin <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 16:55:29 +0100

Dear all,

A large Earthquake occured in North Chile on November 14th.
Here are some news found on the web and location of the epicenter with 
Google Earth wrt the DORIS stations.

Best regards
Laurent

*http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071115/ap_on_re_la_am_ca/chile_earthquake
TOCOPILLA, Chile - Chile's government promised to deliver hundreds of 
portable houses Thursday for people left homeless by a powerful earthquake 
that hammered the country's north, killing at least two people and injuring 
more than 150.
The 7.7 magnitude quake, centered near the desert village of Quillagua in 
the foothills of the Andes, was so strong it shook the capital Santiago, 
780 miles away, and was felt on the other side of the continent in Sao 
Paulo, Brazil  1,400 miles to the east.
It damaged thousands of houses, blocked roads, crushed cars and knocked out 
power across northern Chile.

*USGS bulletin:
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsww/Quakes/us2007jsat.php

Magnitude 7.7
Date-Time
    * Wednesday, November 14, 2007 at 15:40:53 UTC
    * Wednesday, November 14, 2007 at 12:40:53 PM at epicenter
Location 22.189°S, 69.843°W
Depth 60 km (37.3 miles)
Region ANTOFAGASTA, CHILE
Distances 40 km (25 miles) ESE of Tocopilla, Chile
100 km (60 miles) WNW of Calama, Chile
170 km (105 miles) NNE of Antofagasta, Chile
1245 km (780 miles) N of SANTIAGO, Chile
Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 8.6 km (5.3 miles); depth +/- 12.3 km 
(7.6 miles)
Parameters Nst=192, Nph=192, Dmin=106.7 km, Rmss=1.09 sec, Gp= 76°,
M-type=moment magnitude (Mw), Version=6
Source
USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)
Event ID us2007jsat