Subject: Re: [ids.analysis.forum] DORIS on-site meteorological data
From: "H.Fagard" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 10:12:10 +0100

Dear all,

At 17:08 +0100 19/11/07, Laurent soudarin wrote:
>Couldn't they be interesting for meteorological instituts?

A few years ago, the in situ measured data were provided a posteriori 
to a couple of host agencies. I don't know if this is still done.

On the other hand, about 10% of the stations said they would like to 
access the data in real time. This is possible using a special cable 
(allowing to connect a PC to the beacon) and a basic software. This 
equipment was installed at one or two stations, but CNES has banned 
the deployment of more such equipments.

>in particular, measurements from very isolated regions (Crozet...) ?

At most isolated scientific stations (e.g. polar regions) 
meteorological sensors are already present, in addition to the DORIS 
sensors. For example, Ny-Alesund (Spitzbergen) has 18 (yes, 
eighteen!) meteorological stations, as each group carrying out 
research activities there has installed his own.

Best regards,

Hervé