Subject: [ids.analysis.forum] GSFC Std0905 orbits available for TOPEX/Poseidon, Jason-1, Jason-2
From: Frank Lemoine <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2010 23:11:16 +0000

Dear Colleagues-

We announce the public release of the std0905 version of the orbits
for TOPEX/Poseidon, Jason-1, Jason-2.    All orbits are computed
using a consistent set of geophysical and modelling standards (std0905)
as detailed in the attached memo. The TOPEX and Jason-1 orbits
represent significant improvements with respect to the TOPEX GDR-based
orbits and the orbits from Beckley et al. (2007).

The orbits are available via anonymous ftp from the web site
dirac.gsfc.nasa.gov  - as detailed in the attached pdf document.
All the orbits carry the designation "std0905"

 TOPEX:  cd pub/earth/repro_topex/swt09
 Jason-1:   cd pub/earth/repro_jason/swt09
 Jason-2:   cd pub/earth/repro_jason/ostm/swt09

To reference these orbits in publications please use the following citation:

Lemoine, F.G., Zelensky, N.P., Chinn, D.S., Pavlis, D.E, Rowlands, D.D., 
Beckley, B.D., Luthcke,
S.B., Willis, P., Ziebart, M., Sibthorpe, A., Boy, J.P., and V. Luceri 
(2010). Towards
development of a consistent orbit series for TOPEX/Poseidon, Jason-1, 
and Jason-2. Advances in
Space Research, DORIS special issue, in review.

A doi number will be available once the review cycle is complete.

I would like to acknowledge the contributions of the co-authors,  the 
spacecraft teams
for TOPEX/Poseidon, and Jason-1 and Jason-2, and the many individual 
researchers who have
contributed to the improvements in the geophysical models that we have 
employed
in these orbit recomputations. These include most significantly, 
improved gravity models derived as a result
of the GRACE mission, improved Earth and ocean tide modelling,
improvements to the station coordinates and reference frame thanks to 
the IERS and POD team colleagues, and improvements to the radiation 
pressure modelling for Jason-1 developed by colleagues from University 
College London. We also should not forget the contributions of the  
International Laser Ranging Service, the International DORIS Service, 
and the International GNSS Service, without whose data and dedication 
and continual efforts for improvements,
we could not deliver the improved orbit products that we make available 
today.

In the event of questions please contact Frank Lemoine or Nikita Zelensky:

 [email-masked]
 [email-masked]

Best regards,
Frank Lemoine
(On behalf of the entire GSFC POD team)
******************************************************************
Frank Lemoine
Code 698, Planetary Geodynamics Laboratory
NASA Goddard Space Flight Center
Greenbelt, Maryland 20771 USA
Email: [email-masked]
Tel: 301-614-6109; Fax: 301-614-6522
*************************************************************